This memorial day was so much fun. Nate had worked the night before so while he slept I took the kids over to my friend Krystal's house so her hubby Aaron could take them swimming while Krystal and I got ready for a BBQ later that day at Allie's house. As soon as I got to her house the clouds got really ominous looking and sure enough right as they were walking out to go swim it started lightening and raining.
They were bumbed, but we still had fun watching the storm from Krystal's balcony window. We put on Disney's "The Haunted Mansion" for them to watch while Krystal and I made fruit salad and macaroni salad.
The timing was perfect. As soon as the movie was over and we were done cooking the storm stoped and the clouds blew away. We all headed to the pool to swim for a couple of hours.
We were the first ones at the pool so for a good 30 minutes or so we had the pool to ourselves! Aaron taught Andrew how to do a front flip off the side of the pool, and I was trying to do a backflip... which always ended up being more of a back dive. Krystal was being shy about getting in... so I pushed her in... which started a big thing with the kids... whenever one of us got out of the pool for pretty much any reason they would sneak up behind us and push us in.
Austin is getting so much more brave in the pool. He started jumping off the edge into the 3 foot area without me catching him! He could be swimming by the end of summer!
Alyssa is a little water baby. She loves being in the water. Krystal and I had fun passing her back and forth so the other could play around a little.
After swimming I had to run home and pick up Nate and head over to the Lee's house for a BBQ. When we got their the coals were just ready and we through our hamburgers and hotdogs on. The food was so great! The kids all had fun playing baseball, and halfway through the game the storm returned and started down pouring again. Not much is funner than playing baseball in the rain. Except maybe slip and sliding in the rain.
The kids pulled out the "Banana slide" and started taking turns sliding down it. Us adults were watching from Allie's awesome enclosed patio and we were joking with each other about going out and joining them. It didn't take long until we all thought, "why not?". So Krystal and I ran down with Allie to her room and borrowed a couple of swimming suits and joined the kids on the slip and slide.

I think that this is Aaron taking his turn. Nate decided that he would take pictures with his blackberry rather than take a turn down the freezing slip and slide. Way to take one for the team loves.

Okay... the plan was for me to piggy back Krystal and then jump and slide down together... however once I got to the end I chickened out and just ran down the slide with her on my back.

We had fun trying different things. I did a few a couple cartwheels followed by a somersault... Jon and Aaron "surfed" down a couple of times. Allie and Krystal were hilarious!
I've decided that there is no better way to feel young again, and bond with your kids, than by acting like one yourself. I know that I haven't had so much fun in a long time, and I know the kids got a kick out of watching their parents act like they were 10 again.
My challenge to all of you today... go play with your kids today. They will love it... and you will too!
5 comments:
What a wonderful day!!! It just proves the point that simple pleasures shared with family and friends is where real joy is found! How lucky you are!
So much fun. My kids love when I act silly with them.
looks like a BLast!! Hey I got your message but not your number and the message got deleated....I wont say his name....JEFF!!! anyways call me I wouldl love to come and see you!
Hey! I changed the address to my blog. It's no longer alliebrownie.blogspot.com but it's now littlehousebigtexas.blogspot.com.
Just to let you know!
Becky you cute girl! Love the slip and slide pictures- so great!! So I was looking at mallory's big preschool picture I have up on my wall now and was thinking about you.... wishing Mallory was in your preschool again and remembering all our laughs :) I miss you too and yes we are adjusting to new life over here and things are going as good as I could have expected. I'm glad we can blog together now! Take care becky!
Post a Comment