Just Another Day In Paradise

Monday, September 20, 2010

Triathlon

I know it's been a long time sense I've updated my blog. A lot has happened. The kids and I went to AZ for 4 weeks and had so much fun. I'll try to post some of that later... there is just so much that it's a little over whelming trying to figure out where to start. So... I'm going to start with what we did just this last Saturday.

My friend Jesse Ford told me about a girls only sprint triathlon that she was going to do and invited me to join her. I had been thinking about it for a while, but a little scared about trying it. Although I ran cross-country and track in high school, I've never really swam or biked much before. Jesse reassured me telling me that they swim close enough to shore that if you get tired you can touch bottom and walk if you need to. I thought about it, and thought, what the heck, you only live once. I signed up. As I was signing up I noticed that right after the women's tri, they were having a kids triathlon too. I told Andrew about it and he begged me to sign him up so... I did.


Miraculously Nate actually had that Saturday off! Thank you Lord for tender mercies! So he, Austin and Alyssa came along to cheer for me and Andrew. We were both really nervous!

I love Andrew's look of fear.


I was really nervous too... just trying to hide it.

This was my first time ever wearing a swim cap! Thank you to the Shockey girls (who were also doing the kids triathlon... they helped me put it, and the goggles on right.)

Finally it came time to "suit up" and head over to the lake.

It was a gorgeous morning! Here are all the ladies getting ready to start the race. It was a 250 yard swim, then we ran up to the "transition" area, where we quickly through on our running shoes and helmet and took off on a 7 mile bike ride. After that we parked the bike again at our "transition" area and then took off on a 2 mile run. I was glad that the race wasn't any longer than that... but even as it was... it was a good workout.


Here I am with Jesse and her Sis-in-law Stacy right after I crossed the finish line... yes, they both beat me... but I did finish, and I didn't get last place! I was really proud of myself.

Below is Stacy, Me, Kayla Shockey, Jesse, and Carol Shocky, who is also in my ward and so much fun. She's Kayla's Mom, and has a little baby less than 6 months old at home!

Next it was Andrew's turn!

Andrew did such a great job! I have lots of video of Andrew doing his race, but blogger wont let me upload them! Grrrr. He did so good, especially for his first time ever racing.

Yeah for the finish line!!! What a great day, such great memories... can't wait until next year!

5 comments:

Lara Neves said...

You. Rock.

I am so impressed! Congratulations!

Toni said...

Super impressive for both of you.

Ioana said...

Awesome!!!!!

Allison @ Allie Browns Layouts said...

WOW girl! That's so great that you did that and that Andrew did too! I had to smile when you wrote "you only live once". I think that's your life's motto.

What a great feeling to know that you've accomplished all of that! And I'm excited to hear (or so it sounded like) that you're going to do it next year! That way you can practice and work at bettering yourself.

What a good attitude you have Becky! I love you and miss you so much! Come move to Texas. :)

Wright Family said...

I have always wanted to do that... I think I am going to now. Thanks for the example.