Just Another Day In Paradise

Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Great Renovation of the Family Room

This one was one of the easiest to do. It was originally the dining room for the house, but we needed more space. That's why we finished the enclosed patio and made our own dining area out there. We turned the dining room into a family room. I'm so glad we did! Having a nice living room when people first come over is wonderful!
So, this room originally had nasty lime green walls, and lime green carpet which became very stained shortly after we moved in courtesy of our 2 little boys. Here they are playing while Dad and I unpacked... sorry, these are the best "before" pictures I could find.
I love Austin's "kicking it" pose, and Andrew's so serious look! They are so funny!
This picture was just before we moved in.
After the boys stained up the carpet (one incident was when Austin dumped out a half gallon of yellow paint on it!) we realized that we needed to ditch the carpet and go with something a little more resistant to little boys. I would recommend laminate flooring to anyone! It's affordable and so durable! We've had it in for 2 years with our boys (the carpet didn't last 5 months!) and it still looks amazing!
We painted the room the same blue as the AZ room because I just love that color. Again... when it came time to sell we were advised to go with something more neutral.
I'm really glad we did! This is just a slightly softer yellow than the kitchen and it looks so wonderful!

These last 3 were just taken. The good thing about listing your house is that you are very motivated to keep it clean!









4 comments:

Mom said...

I think your idea of moving the dining room and changing it into a family room was a very good one, too. Not only did it give you a great area for the kids to play and watch TV, but it just seemed "wrong" for the bathroom to be connected to the dining area!:-P

Becky said...

I guess it made sense having it as a dining room so that if I made some thing nasty the bathroom was readily availible should you need to spew. :-) I agree though... having that extra space for the kids to play in has been so awesome!

Andrea said...

I love the new lighter yellow color. So pretty and dainty.

Tom said...

Wow...I am in awe of all that you have done. From one who has lived through and helped with a home renovation...I have to say, you guys did an amazing job!!! Very impressive!

love, Renee

P.S. Has you house sold yet?