This morning started out so chaotically. The boys were unusually hyper... even more so than usual. They were having a difficult time listening to me and obeying. I was getting frustrated, but kept my cool. I kept wondering what on earth had gotten into them. Anyway, time finally came to get them off to school. They headed out to the car and I went to grab my keys and jogging bag.
But my keys were not were I usually put them.
So I checked a couple other places that they sometimes hide, but no luck.
I resorted to crawling on my hands and knees looking under the bed. Nothing.
Okay I thought... instead of running today, it looks like I'm going to have to take a walk with the kids.
I called the kids back in and told them that we were walking to school today. I think they thought I was joking.
So, we loaded up Alyssa in the stroller, which desperately needed more air in it's tires, but the pump was locked in the van with the bike still from the triathlon. Oh well... I thought, even though it's a little harder to push, at least I don't have to carry her the 2 or 3 miles to the school... and 2 or 3 miles back.
After assuring Austin one more time that I wasn't joking, we headed off on our walk to school.
As we walked on Copley road the shoulder was just big enough for Alyssa's stroller to fit on and Austin and Andrew walked single file behind me. As cars zoomed by us Austin made a comment about how lucky everyone else was because they had a car, so we talked about how this experience should make all of us very grateful that we do have a car too, and we thought of other things that we should be more grateful for.
About the time that I started getting tired, and Austin was complaining about how much his little legs were hurting and we still weren't even half way there yet, a stranger pulled up in a suburban and asked if we needed a ride. "Sure" I said... who am I to deny someone an opportunity to serve. :) Turned out that Andrew actually knew her son Mathew.
As I helped Andrew and Austin into her car I thanked her for stopping, and she said, "Anytime, I hope I can be a blessing."
I told her that she absolutely was. I waved good bye to the boys, and as they continued on their way to school, I turned around with Alyssa and started walking home. But as I walked I kept thinking about her words. "I hope I can be a blessing." What a great attitude. I wondered what I can do to be a blessing to those around me today. To my husband, to my kids, to my Savior.
I'm grateful that I couldn't find my keys today. I'm grateful for lessons learned on the side of the road.
A new project!
11 years ago
7 comments:
That was so nice of that lady to pick you up! How grateful I am for the good people in this world. We always hear about the bad people and the bad things they do (hence the reason I avoid the news). I love that attitude she had that she wanted to be a blessing. I think I should personally try to apply that in my life; to be a blessing to others I see in need.
Hmmmmm...that's really got me thinking. What a great post!
What a sweet post! It definitely makes you stop and think. Maybe it was a blessing that you lost your keys. Although I hope you've found them since :-)
Love you guys!!
What a great analogy. I am so glad there are still decent people in the world today. I hope you eventually found your keys.
What a great attitude to have.
Becks--I hope you don't mind but I would like to read this blog post to my sisters tomorrow in RS. I was asked, at the last minute, to give the RS talk tomorrow. I decided to give it on Elder Eyring's talk "Our Perfect Example" and thought that this lady was indeed, a perfect example of Christ.
Here's the talk if you wanna read it:
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=8384ad2dbbb94210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
If you would like me to not read it, let me know! And fast! :P I technically don't need the story, but I thought it would be a nice beginning to my lesson. Love you chica!
Hey Allison,
You are welcome to use this story and I hope that it helps inspire your R.S. sisters as she inspired me. Good luck!
Post a Comment